Thursday, February 15, 2007

Lois is a connector

The fishbowl is pretty dry for material today: luckily we've got these B-School slides. Taken from a sheet of six, these three slides seem to be about how to evaluate the relationships you have with people to figure out if you can use them in work. I like how everything on the "Weak Ties" list is just the obvious opposite of the "Strong Ties" list.

I'm told that there's a whole class about networking? I guess that would explain the letters to businessmen and women saying "Thank you for your time and meeting with me" early last semester.

powerpoint connector lois fishbowl

How does "The Strength of Weak Ties" in any way relate to the material on this slide anyhow?

I'll be checking again later for more stuff at the fishbowl. If I find anything good it'll be up early tomorrow morning.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

B-School kids can't make contrasts for themselves.

12:34 PM  
Blogger srah said...

I don't understand any of this... and I think I might have taken that class.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took this class (or a similar one) and there are slides missing from the full presentation. I believe the point was those who are weak ties have better chances of connecting you to people that are helpful (jobs, information, etc), since they usually have a more differentiated network from you than your strong ties do. I think that's what it was...

4:18 PM  
Blogger Ricco Swave said...

Strength of Weak Ties refers to a seminal paper by Mark Granovetter of the same name, which talked about why having many weak ties is better for getting information than a few very strong ones. American Journal of Sociology 78(6) p. 1360-1380 if anyone's interested.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home