Tuesday, June 19, 2007

[Link] This is literally a great site.

First off, let me tell you that I've got an actual update coming today (Tuesday).

Literally, A Web Log is a site that keeps tabs on the misuse of the word "literally". Take, for example, this quote from NPR.
"In a few hundred words, McGhee simply and elegantly charts the arc of motherhood — from birth and childhood through adulthood and the next generation.

McGhee says that in Someday, her ninth book, she literally put her heart on the page."
Or this, from Jerry Falwell:
"If you and I do not speak up now, this homosexual steamroller will literally crush all decent men, women, and children who get in its way … and our nation will pay a terrible price!"
/was unaware that steamrollers had a sexual preference.

Anyhow, a new post will be going up once I'm able to scan it, so I'll literally see you back here later.

18 Comments:

Blogger Katherine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

My friend and I discuss the misuse of "literally" literally all of the time! When people misuse it, we literally die laughing.

We have a few examples of our own.

His sister's boss left a note for all to see that read:
"The tardy policy will now be strictly enforced because some employees think that others are literally getting away with murder."

The Burlington Coat factory once had a commercial on television that said "If you buy coats anywhere else, you are literally throwing your money away!"

We also like to laugh when people repeat themselves and are redundant and repetititve.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Amber Gilchrist said...

Thanks for the link. I really liked the youtube dictionary according to Jack video. I gotta eat more paperbacks.

I like the word literally because I make crap up all the time so I use it to put a nice distinction on a statement. A one word way to politely say, "Hey, this time I'm not making this sh#* up."

8:32 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

A man at work today said, "My son just literally dropped out of school."

What does that mean? Did he fall from the school's roof? Why do people misuse "literally" so much? It literally makes me throw up everytime I hear it used improperly.

Literally.

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pi1P7z Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pi1P7z Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TBmQDF Nice Article.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all!

2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NzZcxP Wonderful blog.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Journalists are literally immasculating the president" *giggle*

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home